Travel Back To The US
with an Expired US Passport:
As of now, this will only apply through December 31, 2021.
Anyone whose US Passport expired after January 1st, 2020, may use that passport to return to the United States. This is a one-time permission per person, and the person MUST renew their passport in the US, prior to any additional travel.
You qualify for this exception if all the following are true:
- Your US passport expired on or after January 1, 2020
- You are flying directly to the United States, a United States territory, or have only short-term transit (“connecting flights”) through a foreign country on your direct return to the United States or to a United States Territory.
- Your expired passport was originally valid for 10 years. Or, if you were 15 years of age or younger when the passport was issued, your expired passport was valid for 5 years.
- Your expired passport is undamaged and unaltered.
- Your expired passport is in your possession.
- Your US passport expired before January 1, 2020
- You wish to depart from the United States to an international destination.
- You are currently abroad seeking to travel to a foreign country for any length of stay longer than an airport connection en route to the United States or to a United States territory.
- Your expired passport was limited in validity (such as an emergency passport, valid for 1 year or less).
- Your expired passport is a special issuance passport (such as a diplomatic, official, service, or no-fee regular passport).
- Your expired passport is damaged or altered.
- Your expired passport is not in your possession.
When traveling back to the USA on an expired US passport as detailed above, we strongly advise the following:
- Arrive at the airport about 4 hours prior to flight departure time, to allow for any potential extra processing or verification time.
- Be aware that upon arrival in the USA, there is a high likelihood that you will be required to undergo a brief secondary screening process from United States Customs and Border Patrol.